Thursday, June 18, 2009

Grandma’s Common Sense

Norma Zager

Friday, June 12, 2009(first posting)

“Common Sense is Common Sense” according to Your Grandma.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” Buddha

An interesting sidelight to penning a controversial point of view is the strange conglomeration of followers one recruits along the way. An ideal, universally proposed, that is simply every day common sense seems to transcend nationality, ethnicity, religion or gender.

I have been happily surprised that so many corners of our world read and agree with our message. Of course, many don’t as well. But, how can so many agree when the message articulates such a controversial point of view as Israel’s right to exist? After all, there are even Jewish people who believe the Arab propaganda disseminated so successfully throughout a worldwide liberal media.

One must find humorous irony in the fact so much of that media is owned and run by Jewish people whose families died at the hands of the very people they applaud and support. Ah, but that is another issue and only between these people and their God, and common sense in no way enters into that discussion.

I do sometimes envision these liberal moguls, who so enthusiastically perpetuate the anti Israel line, entering heaven—yes, I agree the heaven thing may be a stretch, but stay with me here to play out my hypothesis.

So Mr. Big Shot Media Mogul Liberal enters heaven and is greeted by his grandmother murdered at the hands of the Arabs after the United Nations accord. The mogul runs to hug his Nana, but she puts her hand out to stop him.

“Schmuck! What the hell is wrong with you? You help the people who killed me spread more hatred? I did something to make you hate your grandmother? You dishonor my memory and help my enemy?”

“No, Grandma I love you, but Israel is not right. It’s not fair to the poor Arabs. We need to move forward and give something to get something.”

“I gave at the office. I gave my life. I gave my family. I gave my future. That wasn’t enough for you, Mr. Liberal? What more should have I given?”

“You spread their vicious lies, you help them destroy Jews and bomb our country and you call yourself my grandson? I don’t know who you are any more. So tell me: How did you die?”

“I was sitting in a restaurant in Tel Aviv and suddenly I heard a loud sound, then I was floating upward and saw you.

“Why were you in Tel Aviv and what did you order?”

“I was there to attend a land-for-peace conference with the Palestinians leaders.”

“So how’s that working for you so far, that land-for-peace thing? Did you at least get to finish your meal?”

“No, the waiter was just setting my plate down, and I…”

“I can’t look at you and don’t bother your grandfather, he doesn’t want to see your face. He said you shamed the family and you are dead to him.

“But Grandma, what’s the difference? I’m dead to everyone now.”

“Yes, and in a day or two your wife and children will be murdered and join you up here. I wonder if they’ll be so crazy about you, also. I have to go now and calm your grandfather down. He is still very upset you sold out your own people to the anti-Semites. Did you think giving them Israel would make them like you? Feh, you’re an idiot. I hope you enjoy heaven, although you may have a problem since so many here are German Jews. They aren’t so nice as I am. I’d steer clear if I were you, Mr. Liberal.”

Of course our friendly Liberal would say he will be rewarded in heaven and blessed for his humanity. I suppose it depends on one’s point of view, and Grandma’s.

I receive supportive comments from Muslims, Christians, both religious and secular Jews and agnostics, from Germany, Israel, Iran, New York, Iowa, Washington and St. Louis.

It’s just a matter of common sense. Hate can’t build bridges, repair wounds or enhance life.

Jewish people are not taught to hate. Our books don’t preach destruction. The Ten Commandments, the signpost of Jewish faith, state clearly, “thou shalt not kill.” This also implies thou shalt not strap a bomb on your baby and send it to murder.

Israel has tried to give back land, to call a truce to appease its neighbors. Perhaps it hasn’t always done everything everyone would have liked, but it tried. And it must keep trying until peace is achieved. Israelis want that solution more than anyone. They are exhausted from the battle that has raged for 61 years. Burying their dead, sending their precious sons and daughters off to war.

Many Arabs are tired also, but the reasonable voices are drowned out by hate mongers with an evil agenda. They are also robbed of peace and a calm, decent life, although many Arabs already live and work side-by-side with Israeli neighbors every day. Where is the common sense in all of this?

We must all pray for common sense and reason to prevail; unless you’re in a rush to join Grandma.

Norma Zager Most recent columns

In the series “Postcards from Israel – Postcards from Home,” Ari Bussel and Norma Zager invite readers throughout the world to join them as they present reports about Israel, homeland of the Jewish People, as seen by two sets of eyes. This “point - counter-point” presentation has, since 2008, become part of our lives. It can be found in numerous websites around the world as well as in print in the USA. Ari and Norma can be reached at: aribussel@gmail.com

No comments: