The headquarters of the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO) in the Sinai was attacked on Friday night by dozens of Bedouin Salafi gunmen, Israel’s Channel 2 News reported. Dozens of gunmen, in some 50 vehicles, surrounded the base and then 60-70 of them burst in, storming into the base amid heavy gunfire.
First reports of the attack surfaced a little after 8 p.m. local time. Half-an-hour later, Channel 2 reported that Egyptian troops in 11 armored vehicles had arrived at the base, to try to help to restore order.
The TV report said four members of the MFO, all of them officers, were injured. It said three of them had been evacuated to Israel’s Soroka Medical Center, with at least one of them in serious condition. Three of the men were said to be of Colombian nationality. Earlier reports had suggested several fatalities in the attack.Oh the usual excuse is it’s about the movie, but it’s not.
The attackers were described as Bedouin jihadists, possibly affiliated with Al-Qaeda. First reports said Al-Qaeda flags were seen flying at the base after the attack. The attack was reported to have been motivated by Muslim anger at an anti-Islam film, “Innocence of Muslims,” which has sparked anti-Western protests in many Arab cities in recent days.
The TV report said the gunmen broke through the security perimeter of the base — “the first time anything like this has ever happened,” it said — and brought down two observation towers.
The real story is that this is helping dismantle any international presence in the Sinai which is part of the Death of Camp David watch that will bring on a war between Israel and the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood regime.
Push out the peacekeepers, occupy the area and bring on the war. That was the game that Gamal Abdel Nasser played. The only difference is that Morsi is using proxies to do his Brotherhood’s dirty work for him.